Skip to main content

The Sun That Never Sets & Recovering Old Stories


I say the sun that never sets, but I suppose it should be more like the heat that never ends. This endless death wave was not part of my current/near future plan. Don't get me wrong, the sun is gorgeous when it shines here, but when you can feel the sun and concrete burn through your sneaker into your feet, that can't possibly feel "fantastic". I thought that I would share a few things with you before bringing up my writing, so here it goes. I don't mind Arizona. It is definitely better than I thought it would be, but the summer weather is too much for me here (I decided that 100 degrees is now my limit), and I have yet to meet a single person my age. That might be due partially to the fact that we still live in a hotel while we unexpectedly renovate our house (a whole other story for another time), and also partially because I haven't put myself into any situations yet to meet any kids my age (other perhaps a clerk or two at the grocery stores). In other words, I sort of can't wait until classes begin next month so that I can at least attempt to make conversation with one or two people in a similar age range so that I don't feel so darn alone in this waterless desert. 

I have been lucky though to be able to visit this past week with some great friends that I haven't seen in anywhere from two years to four years! People just passing through, so we stop for lunch or dinner, or talk about seeing each other's family's some time later. I must admit that in just this past week I think my family has had more "visitors" than we ever had in Germany. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but it definitely feels quite different. It takes getting used to, moving that is. And I still feel like we are visiting, and that's probably because I am still living out of three suitcases in a hotel, and don't even have floors put in my future bedroom yet. 

One thing that has made me feel really loved though was receiving mail from one of my closest and more dear friends who still lives in Germany, but is traveling Europe for the summer. I have always been the one to send the postcards and packages to my three friends here in America with casual letters in return (I'm afraid that I'm very old school), but to be on the other end now, I love that she sends me little pieces of places that I've always wanted to go to, or things from what I still consider home. Thank you Mop. ;) 


Now enough about personal life. hehe. Onto the more adventurous endeavors I have currently, and yes, they all involve writing books. "The King's Daughter" is officially "coming along". hehe. I'm afraid I am being too particular in reshaping it for traditional publishing, that I fear I won't ever get it done. I do think though that these first 35 word pages are wayyyyy better than the original ;P if anyone is up to rereading my first book. Good news is though that I dug back out from the recesses of my desktop, "The Prince's Assassin" last edited in September of 2013! I know, I was surprised also that it has been that long since I last laid my sore typing fingers on it. The good news with it is that it is such a laughable piece of work for me currently (because I wrote it almost two years ago, and I fear my writing was even simpler back then), so it feels really great to be able to rework it a bit and put some lovely embellishments between those 500 pages (at least that's about how many pages I think it'll be). 

Lastly, my gorgeous "Seraphina". Currently, 95,000 words and counting, I am so excited to finally be taking all of these side scenes that I've written here and there and fit them into the story as I am rounding just past the middle, making my way towards the end of the first book. Yes, I said first because I am officially planning on going against my original plan to make it a stand-alone, and instead am turning it into a trilogy or series (not quite sure which yet). 

As for now that is all the news I have to share with you, but I am excited to see what happens so that I can share more with you! 


Sincerely, 

K. Coleman, 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things are Changing

With the school year coming to a wrap, time seems to retract from its lengthened state so much so that the days are clearly flying by. A lot has happened as of late, and a lot is still to come. Outside of writing, About a month ago now, I was hospitalized again for my ankle injury after getting cellulitis and a staph infect in my ankle joint from the first surgery I had back in January. It was all quite a debacle, but now I must say my ankle is feeling better than ever, and get more and more excited as my strength returns. Recently I also purchased my first car (well a truck), so I came home this last weekend to clean and repair a bit in preparation for my road trip to Montana for the summer! Last summer was a remarkable experience for me living near and working in Virginia City, and I keep counting down the days until I get to return this year. Not only did I get to experience a lot of memorable things while I was there, but I also got a lot of writing done including working on stori…

Jumping off the Deep End

Well, for those of you reading on here, this news may be coming out of the deep blue, but today is officially publishing day for the new edition of The King's Daughter! Published this evening, about ten minutes ago, (so it will take a little time to actually show up online... but), my book will be available on Amazon and Barnes&Noble in print, and will be available as an e-book within a few weeks when I finish up the formatting! I finally thought it about time to stop fussing over the small things (because I knew it'll never be "done" to me if I keep trying to fix minute details). I'm excited to share this newer version with my family and friends who've always shown such great love and support towards my writing over the years! I've come a long way, but know that I still have a long way to go, and The King's Daughter is just my first stop on that long journey! Publishing this will allow me the time now to give more of my time and attention to wor…

A Moment of Realization

I figured it’s been a month, so it’s about time I remove you from the dark. To be perfectly honest, I could’ve written sooner, but in the past month I’ve been settling in at uni, so writing hasn’t quite been my main focus. I know! I’ve wondered to myself too how I could have possibly gone a full month without touching a single work of writing, but it’s a lot easier when you have something else occupying your time. I admit that my biggest fear coming to school was what others told me- I wouldn’t find the time again to write my stories. I’ll be doggy-paddling neck deep in water, turning in circles as I constantly try to stay afloat. If I’m really in that deep, that no, I wouldn’t ever find time to write for fun again. However, if these first four weeks of school have told me anything, it’s quite the opposite- at least for the time being. While still in search of a job where I can make a decent pay for groceries and savings, I have found that I have a lot more free time than I ever thoug…